City of West Chicago
475 Main Street
West Chicago, IL 60185
July 30 , 2005
West Chicago Police announce new resource center at Riverwoods Apartments
- The West Chicago Police Department now has a third resource center site at
the Riverwoods Apartment complex.
- We are excited to have this site and look forward to providing programs &
services to the kids and families in the complex.
- The grand opening of the center is today, Friday, July 29 from 5:00-8:00
pm at the apartment complex. There will refreshments, arts and crafts, games
and information on city and county services.
- The department hopes this center will draw area families so that the kids
have a safe place to go and have fun.
- Mid-America Management will be hosting their annual garage sale for
Westwood NRC this Saturday, July 30 from 9:00am-2:00 pm. Last year, the sale
earned $850 for the peer mentoring fund.
- For more information, contact Donna Swanson at 630-293-2751.
Prairie Oaks Family Aquatic Center celebrates 10th Anniversary Splash Contest
- A 10th Anniversary Splash Contest is being held through Labor Day at the
Prairie Oak Aquatic Center.
- Season Pass holders are eligible to win a gift certificate to a local
restaurant just by checking the thisiswestchicago.org website for their pass
number and being the first person to come to the Aquatic Center Front Desk
with their Season Pass to claim their prize.
- While on-line, residents are encouraged to check out all of the exciting
community resources available.
- The West Chicago restaurants providing gift certificates include:
Augustino’s, Dominick’s Pizza, Sandpiper, Pal Joey’s, Santo Maria’s, Scooby’s,
El Tesoro and Mexico Chiquito.
- Attached is the flyer posted at the Aquatic Center.
- For more information, contact Peggy Krauch at 630-231-9474.
West Chicago National Night Out 2005 scheduled for August 2
- Neighborhoods throughout West Chicago are invited to join communities
nationwide and participate in West Chicago’s annual National Night Out event
on Tuesday, August 2, 2005.
- National Night Out (NNO) is a nationwide event designed to generate
support and participation in local anti-crime efforts, strengthen neighborhood
spirit and improve the relationship between the community police department
and residents. It involves 9,700 communities from all 50 states. In all, 33
million people are expected to participate in “America’s National Night Out
- To celebrate National Night Out, all residents are encouraged to lock
their doors, turn on their outside lights and spend the evening outdoors with
- For more information, contact Office Leo Aviles at 630-293-2752.
West Chicago School District 33 announces new board member
- At the July 21, 2005 meeting of the Board of Education, Mr. Martin Swinney
was chosen to fill the Board seat vacated last month by Mrs. Sharon Jones.
- Mr. Swinney will be sworn in at the August 4, 2005 meeting of the Board,
and will retain this seat until the consolidated election in spring, 2007.
- Mr. Swinney has lived in West Chicago for the past eight years.
- For more information, contact Becky Koltz at 630-293-6000 ext. 201
West Chicago School District 33 provides start of school year information
- West Chicago Elementary School District 33 is pleased to welcome students
and staff back to school for the 2005-2006 school year.
- Returning students who did not turn in completed registration forms last
May should register at their neighborhood school immediately.
- Students new to District 33 may register at their neighborhood school
Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 am and 3:30 pm. Parents should
register their children as soon as possible so the District may accurately
determine class sizes and staff needs. New students must provide a birth
certificate and proof of residency. All students entering Kindergarten and 5th
grade will need to have a physical examination by the first day of school.
- Registration deadline is August 23 at 3:30 pm. Please note that no student
registrations will be processed the first day of school. Registration must be
completed prior to August 24 for children to attend school the first day.
- Registration fees and lunch tickets may now be paid online at
www.wegoed33.k12.il.us, click "Fee Payment." School supply lists and a
complete school calendar are also available on the web site. Class lists and
bus schedules will be posted at each neighborhood school after 4:00 pm on
Friday, August 19.
- Middle School students (grades 7 and 8) will need to attend Registration
Completion on one of two days; August 10, 2005 from 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm, or
August 11, 2005 from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm. Students can purchase locks and gym
uniforms, have school and ID pictures taken, and receive their team
assignments and class schedules.
- The first day of attendance for students in Grades 1 through 8 is
Wednesday, August 24. This is a full day of school. The first day of
attendance for students entering Kindergarten is Friday, August 26. The first
day of attendance for students in Preschool will be Monday, August 29. Please
note that student registration will not take place the first day of school.
- For more information, contact the individual school: Currier School at
293-6600, Gary School at 293-6010, Indian Knoll School at 293-6020, Pioneer
School at 293-6040, Turner School at 293-6050, Wegner School at 293-6400, or
West Chicago Middle School (Grades 7 & 8) at 293-6060.
El Ojo Fino/The Exquisite Eye Photography Exhibit visits West Chicago City
Museum until August 16
- This exhibit features nine prominent women photographers from Mexico runs
until August 16, 2005.
- In conjunction with the exhibit, adult and children’s education programs
will be offered, including lectures and hands-on sessions. The hands-on
sessions require advanced registration and a $3 donation to cover the cost of
- Admission is free, and the museum gallery is open Tuesday – Friday 10:30
am to 3:30 pm and Saturday 11:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- The West Chicago City Museum is located at 132 Main Street.
- For more information, contact LuAnn Bombard at 630-231-3376 or email
West Chicago weekly update schedule changes
- The West Chicago Weekly update will now be sent every other week.
- Please direct feedback on the updates to Gabrielle Wallace at 630-918-9210
West Chicago government meeting agendas and minutes posted on city website